Contact Person: Fraisse, Clyde
Collaborators: J.Baez, N. Breuer, J. M. Fernandes, C. A. Forcelini, C. Fraisse, W. Pavan
Institutions: Universidad Catolica Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion (Paraguay); University of Florida; University of Miami; Universidade de Passo Fundo (Brazil)
Funding Agency: USDA NIFA / FSU
Start: July 2008 End: June 2011
Abstract: The long-term goal of this project is to design, develop, and implement a prototype comprehensive information and decision support system. The purpose of this system is to inform farmers, ranchers, foresters, water resource managers, industry, and policy makers about climate risks and to identify management practices that can reduce risks and increase benefits by using this climate information.This system has been implemented on the Internet at http://www.AgroClimate.org.
Specific objectives for this study are:
- To design and develop prototype climate forecast information
- To design and develop prototype state and regional agricultural and water resource outlooks
- To design and develop prototype commodity-based decision support system
- To design and develop prototype watershed-based decision support system
- To educate producers and their advisors on the applications of climate-based decision support systems and
- Evaluate the design and potential value of decision support tools and systems.